5.12.2008

Do The Test


As an avid reader of The 'Mania, I'm sure you're asking yourself, "Have I been reading a blog written by a man that injures himself this badly with no provocation?"

The answer is no. I was cut off by a motorist in New York City who raced around me to beat the same yellow light I was trying to beat. He sped past me then braked in front of me to make a right turn. I threw my fixed gear Bianchi Pista out from between my legs, tucked my shoulder to my chin and waited. The event that, as it turns out, didn't require much waiting at all resulted in 12 stitches over my left eye and who knows what sort of (THANK JESUS, INSURED) medical bills for the ambulance ride, ER visit, etc. I had to miss a gig I was set to play with Red Rooster, as well, which is a whole other can of bullsh*t.

People have asked, "Did (the driver) stop?" I have to remind them that, since I bailed in front of the car and never made contact, the driver likely had no idea of the person salad that laid in his wake. I can't blame him for not stopping.

HOWEVER - The driver is a douchebag of an innumerable value for sending me to the ground, and if this helps you to remember to look out your mirror before opening a door or giving a bicycle just an inch more room, then my wounds are well won.