8.06.2007

Brunch-ish

So.

About this whole "brunch" thing. As stated, I love me some brunch. I feel there is no finer repast than that which brunch provides. And while lack of flexibility has long been one of my defining characteristics, consistency is not, and one must recognize the difference.

No brunch Saturday. Woke up late, had to run errands.

That led The Kid and me to ride over the bridge (which reopens its dedicated bike lane today) Saturday afternoon which turned into The Kid and me drinking giant beers and meeting these girls and going to dinner and going out dancing and not making it home that evening.

I knew a Sunday brunch was going to be tough all week because I had very concrete plans at 1:00PM.

But I did have a brunch of sorts, so let's let the 'Mania begin:

The 86th St. 4-5-6 Stop
86th st. and Lexington Ave.
New York, NY

The place was pretty crowded when I arrived, but luckily I was alone, so it was pretty easy to find room for myself. The hostess must have been having a smoke or seating someone else as I never saw her. Let me tell you - this place was dirty. It looked like the floors hadn't had a good scrubbing in at least a couple of days!!!

To be honest, the joint seemed a little touristy, too with many obvious ones holding shopping bags and the like. What's funny is that no one really seemed to be eating. Like, no one. Then I think I found the reason why: A saw a rat!!! I saw it scurrying and almost lost my lunch, until I realized that I still hadn't seen the waiter!!!

That was enough for me, so I took the next subway train to a place in The Bronx that I've heard really good things about.

Benedict (0 of 5)

What the fuck is this? This place doesn't serve eggs? It's a good thing I had those two big-sized Sapporros at the last place.

Bloody (0 of 5)

What the fuck is this? This place only serves beer? Didn't I have to deal with this a couple weeks ago? For christ and all the angels, am I going to have to drink a light fucking beer for brunch?!?!? Alcoholics drink beer at this time of day! Brunch is the only meal that allows you to booze and eat midday without worrying those around you that you're alone in your apartment sopping up mouthwash and cooking sherry.

I decided to try one, just this once, telling myself it was a native custom and I remember not to look down upon the indigenous.

Apparently it is also their custom to have not one but several beers for this ritual. When in Bronx, right?

Service (3 of 5)

The host was pretty cool and got me to my seat quickly. It's really weird how they serve the food here. You don't have one waiter. There are a whole bunch of them (and not a single cute waitress) that serve each menu item individually. That is, if there is a menu. Nobody brought me one.

Price (1 of 5)

Am I the only one who finds it odd that I paid a cover to get in to this place? And $9.00 for a "big" beer? Lunacy.

I can't score the place well based on any of the 'Mania's very inflexible criteria, but I can reliably say that, for some reason, I felt drawn to the place and will probably end up going back.

Yankee Stadium
161st Street & River Avenue
Bronx, NY 10451
Open 82 days a year - Hours Vary
gsteinbrenner@hotmail.com